Tips to Burn those Holiday Calories
Hi Folks! Everybody’s been busy listing down their New Year’s resolution and one thing for sure that wont miss in their listing is the weight reduction program. Now is the best time to kick off those holiday calories.
To help you determine what program is best for your daily schedule, here is a list various activities and their corresponding burn effect.
Use this chart as a reference and kick off those unwanted fats.
|HIGH BURN ACTIVITIES||CALS BURNED IN 30 MIN.|
|aerobics: low impact||170|
|aerobics: high impact||238|
|elliptical trainer: general||213|
|calisthenics: vigorous, jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, pullups||272|
|weight lifting: light/moderate||108|
|weight lifting: vigorous||207|
|running: 6.7 mph (9 min/mile)||374|
|walk: 4 mph (15 min/mi)||170|
|stretching: mild, hatha yoga||85|
|ice skating: moderate intensity||238|
|sledding, toboggan, bobsled||238|
|skiing/snowboarding: downhill, moderate effort||204|
|operating a snow blower: walking||153|
|shoveling snow: by hand||238|
|cleaning house: general, light||87|
|decorating Christmas tree||85|
|food shopping: with cart||78|
|playing w/kids: moderate effort||153|
|baking and food preparation||136|
Extra Activities to Burn a Few More Calories
Here are some extra activity to burn off a few more calories. Try these and you’ll be amazed of the result.
- Sets of 25 jumping jacks at commercial breaks while watching “A Christmas Story” on TV.
- Dance around the living room to holiday music with your kids.
- Do wall sits while you are writing your grocery list.
- Take the stairs at the mall rather than the escalator or the elevator.
- Don’t sit down while you are talking on the phone. Walk around the house in one giant circle.
- After dinner don’t sit down to chat, bundle up and take the dog for a walk with a few family members.
- Hands down, THE biggest calorie burning tip: Make sure to get in a good workout the morning of your holiday party, or rather, parties. You can see from the chart above what a difference even just a half an hour can make. And, you are not just going to burn during that alloted time, you will burn more calories all day long.